The Complete Guide to Global Digital in 2018
There are now more than 4 billion people around the world using the internet.
Africa has seen the fastest growth rates, with the number of internet users across the continent increasing by more than 20 percent year-on-year.
Social media use continues to grow rapidly too, and the number of people using the top platform in each country has increased by almost 1 million new users every day during the past 12 months. More than 3 billion people around the world now use social media each month, with 9 in 10 of those users accessing their chosen platforms via mobile devices.
You’ll find the key insights from this year’s reports in our more detailed analysis below, but here are the essential headlines for digital in 2018:
- The number of internet users in 2018 is 021 billion, up 7 percent year-on-year
- The number of social media users in 2018 is 196 billion, up 13 percent year-on-year
- The number of mobile phone users in 2018 is 135 billion, up 4 percent year-on-year
- Digital around the world in 2018
- Time spent per day on the internet
- The number of unique mobile users around the world is up by more than 4 percent year-on-year, although penetration rates remain below 50 percent across much of Central Africa.
- Time spent on social media
For the third year in a row, Filipinos spend the greatest amount of time on social media
- Global Facebook reach & engagement
Organic reach continues to fall
Hashtag and emoji ranking
The full suite of reports is available for free today: you’ll find everything you need here: